Monday, July 27, 2015

Life & Living Systems (Biophysics week 1)

I know I'm a living system because I am constantly evolving in an unpredictable way. My environment influences me and the trajectory of my growth is ever changing. Even if I tried to grow only in a particular way, the way my body and mind are formed means that I will adapt to what is present so that I can survive- even if that means stressing over finals. Ah!

Thoughts on class discussion:

I enjoyed Sondra Barrett's realization that God exists and that her discovery came by way of getting deeper into the intricacies of life. One of my best friends is very much atheist and she's very bright. She cares about the planet and respects life, but still the idea that there is some great organizing force is not for her. I wonder what makes people believe or not believe in a greater force or spirituality. Is there a gene that would make one more likely to be spiritual perhaps? Or maybe it's mostly one's upbringing. How much does a near-death experience increase the odds one becomes a believer? At any rate, I imagine that being spiritual in some way is in fact beneficial for your health but if you became worried about a judgement day or similar someday maybe that would make you more nervous in day to day life which we know isn't beneficial. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment